According to your text on page 502, a report of the top 10 most IMPORTANT future trends in policing were provided.
Write a 2 page paper. Address the following in your paper:
What do you see as the top three most IMPORTANT trends?
Why are these important trends?
Include a title page and 3-5 references. Only one reference can be from the internet (not Wikipedia) Please adhere to the American Psychological Association (APA) 6th edition, 2nd printing when writing and submitting papers. Papers should be grammatically correct. Lastly, avoid first person and contractions in your paper. You can provide an opinion without using ?I think? statements.
Top 10 TRENDS
1. Technology will increasingly dominate both the economy and society (9). A vast array of technological advances will alter police operations, from surveillance, to detection of weapons of mass destruction (WMDs), to enhancements in databases and the way information is gathered and intelligence is developed.
2. Societal values will continue to change, possibly rapidly (12), which may lead to increasing tension among cultures and a rise in the number of hate crimes aimed at the foreign-born population.
3. The global economy will become more integrated (14), facilitated by the Internet. This will, in turn, lead to a spread in economic crimes that cross national boundaries, making investigation of such crimes considerably more complex and costly.
4. Militant Islam will continue to spread and gain power (15), requiring Western nations, and the United States in particular, to become more vigilant in protecting against violent attacks.
5. Mass migration will redistribute the world?s population (17), creating new challenges for law enforcement in Western developed countries in terms of citizen diversity and increasing the need for police officers who can speak and understand many languages and different cultures.
6. Privacy rights, once a defining right for Americans, will continue to erode (19) as society?s security concerns clash with individual privacy protections.
7. The population of the developed world will live longer (20), including police officers, who will have longer retirements and whose pension costs will rise across the industrialized world. The growing elderly population will also require both increased private security and increased police services.
8. Continuing urbanization will aggravate most environmental and social problems (22), including an increased concentration of citizens living in urban poverty under conditions that foster crime and violence.
9. Specialization will continue to spread throughout the law enforcement profession (23), with more sharing of resources and outsourcing to consultants. Educational and training requirements will increase for officers, and accreditation will gain prominence. Civilianization of positions not requiring the use of sworn, armed law enforcement will expand, including dispatch, crime scene investigation, general investigations, crime and intelligence analysis, and information technology.
10. The work ethic will continue to fade away (25), creating new challenges for police managers and administrators: ?The new GENERATION of workers cannot simply be hired and ignored. They must be nurtured, paid well, and made to feel appreciated, or they will quickly look for a friendlier, more rewarding workplace.? Without the opportunity to learn new skills, young people will quickly find a job that can help them prepare for the rest of their professional life. This may make it difficult for law enforcement to recruit and retain personnel willing to accept the rigors of a police career? (Cetron and Davies, 2008).